Travis Haley Airsoft Cross Training
July 29, 2013
In this video, he demonstrates the advantages of using an airsoft gun to train for real steel. Specifically, Travis Haley is using a Tokyo Marui Recoil Shock SCAR-L and M4. TM Recoil Shock AEG’s are some of the most advanced airsoft guns that attempt to replicate a live firearm as much as possible. There are a multitude of advantages to using these sort of airsoft guns for firearm training. Haley lists a number of advantages:
- Convenience – Airsoft guns are a safe way to train from inside a garage or out in a backyard or if you do not have enough time to visit a range.
- Cost – The cost of firing a live firearm builds very quickly. Between range fees, ammunition cost, and gas to get out to a range, you can expect to spend a pretty penny for training with your weapon. However, the cost of an airsoft gun and ammunition is much less than that of its real steel counterpart.
- Authenticity: Airsoft attempts to replicate the weight and feel of the real gun as close as it can. It is very possible for a shooter to replicate their current set up with their airsoft replica counterparts, and it will feel and handle very similarly to your live set up.
- Safety: Airsoft is a great way to practice mechanical weapon safety habits. As long as you treat your airsoft gun as a real firearm, you will develop very strong safety practices when out on the field with an actual live unit.
- Fundamentals: The airsoft gun will feel very real in your hands and will help develop your muscle development when firing a weapon and transitioning between targets. Realistic, high quality airsoft guns will also replicate the same functions on a real firearm to facilitate realistic reloading.
Travis Haley recognizes the aspects of airsoft that cannot fully replicate firearms, but he acknowledges that there is still a very real and very solid training tool to be found. As long as you treat the airsoft gun as realistically as you would a real firearm, then you are on the right track and mindset to properly learn from one.
One of the main keys that Travis Haley focuses on in his video is the authenticity of your airsoft gun. Specifically, does your airsoft gun handle as close to the real thing as it could? Although Airsoft GI doesn’t offer the Tokyo Marui Recoil System AEG’s, as featured in his video, we do have the Magpul PTS RM4 Scout Electric Recoil AEG by KWA set on preorder. This model features the same sort of realism featured in the TM Recoil System guns, and will work great as an adaptive training tool.
Train hard, but most of all, train safe.